At Mercedes-Benz Fashion Week Swim 2011 in Miami, Rodney Cutler and his team of top-notch stylists did hair at six shows, including Betsey Johnson and White Sands Australia. Cutler was kind enough to share some photos, tips & tricks…
Edgy & Editorial Braids at Betsey Johnson – “The punchy, bright swimwear needed a fun and editorial updos to go with it,” says Cutler/Redken Stylist Ryan Suhr, the lead stylist for the show. Here’s how to recreate the looks:
- Spray Cutler Volumizing Spray onto damp, clean hair.
- Section hair into two asymmetrical sections, brushing the top half into a tight ponytail at the right recession of the hairline, and repeating at the bottom half by brushing it into a tight ponytail at the bottom left of the nape.
- At the top section, create two fishtail braids, loosening the braids by lightly pulling at the sides, then wrapping the braids around each other and pin, replicating the look of a flower.
- Repeat Step 3 with the bottom section.
- Finish the look with Redken 23 Forceful Super Strength Finishing Spray.
Beach Goddess Blow Out at White Sands Australia – “To compliment the beautiful, feminine prints, I wanted to give the girls an editorial, edgy look with a classic twist,” says Cutler/Redken Stylist Kelsy Osterman, the lead stylist for the show. Here’s how to recreate the gorgeous beach waves:
- Spray damp hair with Cutler Volumizing Spray and then quick dry product into hair with a blow dryer to create a base of texture.
- Starting at the nape of the neck, lightly spray Redken 09 Workforce Flexible Volumizing Spray from roots to ends, and gently backcomb each section.
- Curl each section and set it with a clip, curling all the way up to the head, and repeatingly backcomb closer at the top of the head.
- Create a center part, leaving no volume at the top.
- Take out the clips and finger-comb the curls into place.
For more looks from Mercedes-Benz Fashion Week Swim 2011, and beyond, please visit the Cutler Facebook Fan Page.