When the temperature drops, hair usually gets dry, dull, and full of static. Not ideal! But Paul Labrecque, celebrated hair stylist and colorist, believes winter should still be beautiful.
Recognized by Vanity Fair as one of the country’s Top Three Stylists, Paul is the owner of three award-winning NYC-based salon, a premium hair care collection, three gentlemen’s salons & barbershops, and a thriving retail business. He’s become a renowned stylist for celebrities, like Anne Hathaway, Reese Witherspoon, Kristen Chenoweth, Mary Kate Olsen and Ashley Olsen, just to name a few. And now Paul is here to share some of his top tips for fabulous hair this winter. Check it out.
Battling the Elements: Hair that starts out healthy when you leave the house, will always win the fight against Mother Nature.
- Massage hair with a hydrating shampoo, like Paul Labrecque Daily Shampoo, and follow with Paul Labrecque Daily Conditioner. The moisturizing effects of the sweet tea and dead sea mud in these products will help protect your hair.
- Always use a leave-in conditioner. This helps to fill the cuticles, making the hair less susceptible to damage.
- Air dry or blow dry hair using a grooming control cream. Round Boar Bristle Brushes should be used when blow drying hair. Each stroke releases the hair’s natural sebum oil to condition and polish, promoting stronger, softer, hair full of radiant anti-static shine.
- Never go outside with wet hair. Your locks can freeze, which leads to breaking.
Lots more of Paul Labrecque’s winter hair care tips, after the break.
Combat Flyaways and Static: Cold air outside, plus dry heat inside, is not a favorable equation for your locks.
- Purchase a humidifier. This will help hydrate your skin and hair as you sleep.
- Get rid of nylon and plastic bristle brushes that intensify static.
- After hair is dried, spray a soft finishing spray (such as Paul Labrecque Straight Finish above) into a Boar Bristle Flat Brush and brush through to evenly distribute. This will keep static at bay, without weighing hair down.
Shine on: Condition, Condition, Condition!
- Pre-condition, post-shampoo condition and use a leave-in conditioner. That’s the key to making dry, brittle hair look healthy and shiny.
- Paul Labrecque Repair Condition Treatment with lemongrass is the perfect tool to add to your regimen once a week. This intensive conditioning treatment is formulated to strengthen and restore hair’s natural luster and vitality. Simply massage into the scalp and hair and let sit with a shower cap for 30 minutes.
Don’t Compromise Style: You can still have fun with your hair in the winter. Really.
- A chignon or low ponytail keeps your hair looking stylish and will be less likely to get ruined by the wind.
- Using Paul Labrecque Straight Finish will help keep these updos in place with a soft touchable hold.
- Ear muffs keep you warm, without messing with your tresses. (By the way, the whole thing about losing most of your heat through your head is a myth, so earmuffs might not be such a bad idea.)
- If you would rather sport a hat, make sure it fits and that it’s cleaned regularly. And check out, How To: Winter Hats for more information.